A successful career isn't just about working hard and excelling at your job. It's crucial to keep in mind that your accomplishments won't speak for themselves, and even if you're a great professional, it won't contribute to your career progression if nobody knows about it. To drive your career growth, it's essential to increase your visibility and be recognized as a top professional by industry experts, headhunters, and colleagues. In this article, I'll explore three key elements of a successful career and provide strategies for enhancing your visibility both internally and externally.
1. Be Known by Industry Experts and Leaders
To be successful in your career, you need to be known by the experts and leaders in your industry. This means that you need to actively seek out opportunities to meet and interact with these people. Here are a few ways you can do this:
- Attend industry conferences and events to network with experts and leaders. Seek relevant events, engage with speakers and attendees. One major conference can attract recruiters, HRs, and industry professionals on LinkedIn, elevating your skills and leading to more event invitations.
- Join professional organizations. There are many professional organizations that cater to specific industries. Joining one of these organizations can provide you with opportunities to network with other professionals in your field and gain visibility among industry leaders.
- Contribute to industry publications. Writing articles or blog posts for industry publications can help you build your reputation as an expert in your field. Look for opportunities to contribute to publications that are read by industry experts and leaders.
2. Be Known by Headhunters
Headhunters are recruiters who specialize in finding top talent for companies. Being known by headhunters can be a great way to get your foot in the door at a new company or to explore new job opportunities. Here are a few ways you can increase your visibility among headhunters:
- Maintain a strong online presence. Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up-to-date and reflects your professional accomplishments. Consider creating a personal website or blog where you can showcase your work and share your insights on industry trends.
- Build relationships with recruiters. If you've worked with a recruiter in the past, stay in touch with them and let them know about your current career goals. You can also reach out to recruiters on LinkedIn and introduce yourself.
- Participate in career events. Attending career events can help you build your network and make connections with recruiters who are looking for top talent.
3. Get Recognition as a Professional
To be successful in your career, you need to be considered a great professional by your peers, colleagues, and superiors. Here are a few ways you can increase your visibility and build your reputation as a top professional:
- Does your boss and senior management of your organization know what you’re doing? Make sure they are aware of your work and successes by scheduling review meetings, sending updates on your projects, and speak up at meetings and company-wide events.
- Inquire with your manager about development opportunities and consider requesting reimbursement, even if the course isn't directly related to your current expertise. Identify something that excites you and explain to your manager how it will benefit the company. You may be pleasantly surprised by your manager's willingness to support such initiatives.
- Get involved in side projects. Taking on side projects can help you develop new skills and showcase your expertise in a different area. This can also help you build relationships with colleagues outside of your immediate team.
- Participate in cross-functional or international projects. Working on projects that involve other departments or teams can help you build your network and demonstrate your ability to work collaboratively.
- Volunteer for company events. Volunteering for company events can help you build relationships with colleagues and demonstrate your commitment to the company's mission.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends. Continuing your education through conferences, webinars, or classes can help you stay current with the latest trends in your field.
- As a manager, if you aim to encourage your team members to enhance their visibility within the company, you may encounter resistance where visibility is seen as engaging in "political games." It is crucial to clarify that it is not about excessive self-promotion, but rather about being genuine and openly discussing their accomplishments. This long-term strategy will ultimately provide them with various benefits.
Now that you have a better understanding of the importance of visibility and some strategies for increasing your visibility, it's time to take action. Choose one of the points outlined in this article, such as participating in conferences, and think about 2-3 conferences within your industry that you would like to attend this year. Put these conferences on your calendar and make a plan to actively engage with attendees and speakers at the event. By taking proactive steps to increase your visibility, you can set yourself up for success in your career.
If you would like to receive invitations to educational and networking events, meet like-minded professionals, and get access to resources to support your career growth, join the global Femme Palette community with 2,000+ members!